It may have been a grey, dreary cold day in Duluth but members of the Lake Superior Modern Quilt Guild grabbed their brightest quilts, bundled up, and gathered for a walkabout around Duluth's iconic Aerial Lift Bridge!
Check out the Duluth News Tribune article on the colorful walkabout:
Duluth quilters strut stuff in Canal Park
In our 2017 survey it was overwhelmingly stated that our generous members want to do Community/Charity sewing, you want to make smaller items, and you want the donations to support women. We have the perfect opportunity!
We are officially opening our new charity sewing program: PROJECT POUCH!
Project Pouch is an opportunity to provide pouches sewn by our members and filled with toiletries to a local women’s shelter. We hope you agree that this is a very worthy cause and something that everyone can participate in!
Here’s the nitty gritty:
1. Project Pouch is a year long program so you’ve got plenty of time to get involved :)
2. The shelter will accept filled and unfilled pouches, but we think filled pouches are the best way to show our intent!
3. Toiletries can be full size or travel size.
4. Some toiletry suggestions: Shampoo, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hair brush, Deodorant, Soap, Razor, or anything you think you’d want if you were in the recipient’s shoes!
5. You can use any pouch pattern you like, but Anna Graham from Noodlehead Design has graciously given her permission to use her “Open Wide Pouch” Pattern for this program.
6. We are excited that the popular Etsy shop 'Zipit' donated 12” zippers for Project Pouch which will be distributed at LSMQG meetings. The picture of the colorful display of zippers on this post - those are the donated zippers! Aren’t they amazing?! Thank you so much Zipit for your generous donation!
7. To kick Project Pouch off with a bang we will be holding a Pouch Party Sew-In in February or March, date TBD!
***As an extra incentive we will be holding a drawing at the end of the year for those who have participated. The more you donate, the more chances you have of winning! Here’s how:
•One empty pouch gets 1 ticket in the drawing.
•One donation of toiletries (enough to fill a pouch) will get you one ticket in the drawing.
•One sewn and filled pouch will get you two tickets in the drawing.
We hope that you are as excited as we are to get Project Pouch rolling!
Get ready, get set, SEW!
-Your Lake Superior MQG Leadership Team
Tonight’s meeting is cancelled due to weather and road conditions. Consider it a freebie night to stay home and sew something amazing to bring to next month’s meeting!
Happy New Year! Can you believe it's 2018? To start off the year we have an exciting meeting planned. See below.....
Stash and Scrap Management
Do you look at your stash and wonder, 'whatIS in there?' or say to yourself, 'I KNOW that fabric is somewhere in my stash!?!'. Is your scrap bin over flowing? Are your scraps taking over your sewing area? Well, good news! Alane will be sharing with us tips for organizing our stash and scraps into a more manageable conglomeration of quilty goodness!
Quilty/Sewing New Years Resolutions
As we all know, the New Year is a time for setting goals, making resolutions, etc.... Come prepared with your goals and resolutions for your quilting or sewing in 2018. We'll play a game to share them with each other. For those who desire a higher level of commitment, we will have a 'time capsule' where you can write down your goals. In December well review them and see how everyone did.
2018 Quilt a Long
Alane has created a fantastic quilt pattern for our 2018 QAL. Want more details? Come to the meeting :-)
Survey Result ( We'll share a bit of the survey results over the course of several meetings.)
Quilter of the Month
2018 Sign Ups
Then of course there is Show and Tell! Can't wait to see what has been keeping your fingers warm these cold days!
See you Thursday, January 11th, from 6:00 to 8:00, at Karen McTavish's Quilt Studio, 1831 E 8th Street.
The Lake Superior Modern Quilt Guild meets the
2nd Thursday each month from 6pm-8pm at
McTavish Quilt Studio & Fabric (1831 E 8th St in Duluth).